Friday, November 12, 2010

He Loves my Shredded Chicken Tacos

My boyfriend is adorable. Yesterday I asked him about dinner and he asked me, "Can we have tacos?" How do I say no to that? I told him to pick me up an avocado on his way home from work so I could make guacamole as well.

Tacos are easy, especially now that it finally dawned on me that I could just make one big batch of my taco seasoning and save it, so I only have to taste it once instead of a million times!

This is roughly what's in my seasoning mix:
Cumin- it's at least half cumin, probably more like 75%
Oregano
Thyme
Garlic powder
Cayenne- I like a lot
Salt
Black pepper
I think that's it. You could add chili powder or onion powder as well. I didn't have them when I made this batch, but I'll pick them up when I make the next batch and try it out.

Guacamole:
Avocado
Lime
Pepper
Salt
Tabasco, red and green
Tapatio
Garlic Powder
Optional: Diced tomato
Procedure: Mash with fork.

Here's how it goes down.
I boil the chicken, and while that's happening, I make the guacamole (unless I've made it earlier in the day; earlier is better!), julienne an onion, and mince a clove or two of garlic. Once the chicken is cooked, I take it out of the water and shred it with two forks. Then I get a large pan with oil (I just use vegetable oil) nice and hot, and I add my onions. I cook them until they're soft, add my garlic, and deglaze with either light beer or white wine. Either works fine. Then I throw in my chicken, season liberally with my spice mix, and add a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Make sure some of the spice mix goes into the oil instead of straight on the chicken in the pan. It brings the flavor out more when you cook the spices a little bit.

Once the chicken is coated in spices and tomato paste, and it's a bit crispy from the oil, you're done! I serve the chicken and guacamole with tortillas (we like flour; one day I'll make my own) and some shredded cheese, usually cheddar/jack mix, but sometimes we buy the "Mexican" cheese, which is basically the same thing. We rarely bother with rice and never bother with beans.

I hardly ever get sour cream because he doesn't like it, but when I have it on hand, I pile that on my tacos as well. So deliciously bad for me. And don't forget the Tapatio! It's our most-used condiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment