Monday, November 22, 2010

Wellington: Delicious to the Max

Today I went to the hiring center for the Cosmopolitan to fill out my final paperwork for my job. I start a week from today.

A couple of days ago, Devin went to The Butcher Block to get some filet mignon. They don't have it at Smith's, and I wanted to make beef wellington. He ended up spending $35 on two 1.5 inch Prime filets, but damn, were they ever worth it. I made one wellington today, with gravy, and green beans with bacon, and I think I'm going to butter poach the other filet.

My wellington turned out perfect! I made a mushroom duxelle, which is just a mixture of mushrooms, onions, garlic, and seasoning, and then cooled it off. Then I took out the puff pastry and rolled it out. I seasoned and seared the steak for two minutes on each side and let it cool for a few minutes. Then I put the gorgeously seared steak on the puff pastry sheet, topped it with the duxelle, and sealed the pastry around it. About 20 minutes in the oven got it to a perfect medium-rare, and in that 20 minutes I made my gravy and sauteed my green beans, which I had previously blanched.

Just thinking about tonight's dinner is making my mouth water all over again. I could have eaten a whole wellington myself, but I'm glad I only made one steak for us to split, since that means I get more Prime steak deliciousness tomorrow. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment