Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pork with Apples and Gravy, Bulgur Wheat Pilaf with Lemon, and Braised Cabbage

Today was our first day being graded in Foundations III. I worked with Lem Lem, Matt, and Lazaro.

Pork with Apples and Gravy, Bulgur Wheat Pilaf with Lemon, and Braised Cabbage (4.5 out of 5)
*Note on grading: I'm not sure how the new system is going to be, but today we presented an entire plate and got graded on everything together.
I feel bad because I did the braised cabbage, but it only wasn't perfect because we timed things a bit wrong. We all underestimated how long the cabbage would take to cook perfectly and get the seasoning right, but I totally take the blame for it. 4.5 out of 5 isn't awful, though. Our pilaf was great; I love bulgur wheat, and the pork with the gravy was out of this world. We ended up roasting it even though we were supposed to braise it, because we were in a different classroom/kitchen with maybe eight burners and just two ovens. We had to use those portable burners on the countertops because there were too many of us for such a small kitchen. Everyone either got a 4.5 or a 5, though, and yet again, my team finished first.

Tomorrow is fish and a couple of side dishes. I think we have five things to make tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment