Sunday, August 1, 2010

Recreating a Favorite Restaurant Dish

Today I attempted to recreate the stuffed dates from Firefly. This is a tapas dish that's meant to be shared, but I always eat a whole plate of it by myself.

It's dates, stuffed with almonds, wrapped in bacon, and served with a red wine reduction and blue cheese. I figured I could do it easily, so last weekend I bought dates, almonds, and blue cheese. Of course I already have bacon and wine!

All I had to do was pit the dates, shove the almond inside, wrap about a third of a piece of bacon around it, and set it with a toothpick. I set my red wine up to reduce, seared the dates, and then put them in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Devin and I agreed that the flavors were perfect but the bacon was wrong. I was using my favorite thick-cut bacon, and I need to use a thinner cut so it gets crispier. I'm really proud of myself, though; it was delicious.

You can see a picture of it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment