Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Michael Mina: Tuna Tartare and Pancetta-Wrapped Cod

I worked with Corrinne and Brian today because neither of my teammates were in class.

We got sushi-grade tuna to make our tartare, and it turned out so well. Tuna tartare is chopped up tuna, served raw. "Tartare" itself can be done with anything from fish to steak. For the tuna, we used pears, jalapenos, and pine nuts to make it interesting. I have leftovers. Nothing says, "I'm in culinary school" like having tuna tartare and a beer as my afternoon snack.

I was eating the tuna like sashimi while we cooked. Shh, don't tell.

The fish was great, but when is fish wrapped in bacon not great? We made a sauce for it with balsamic vinegar, sugar, shallots, and mushrooms. I will be making that sauce at home for sure.

Michael Mina is from San Francisco like me, so I was excited to cook some of his dishes today.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone! I'll drink an Irish Car Bomb for my readers later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment