Friday, March 19, 2010

Wolfgang Puck and Mario Batali

Yesterday we made beef wellington and a seasonal salad, recipes from Wolfgang Puck. The wellington was a filet and a mushroom duxell (cream sauce) wrapped in puff pastry and baked. It was difficult to tell when the steak was done, so ours ended up medium-well instead of medium, but it was so good. The salad was just a bunch of vegetables, nothing fancy, but Chef really liked our plating.

Today was Mario Batali day, and we made mussels and lobster appetizers. The mussels were steamed, cleaned, and cooked in their own juice with white wine, onions, and tomato paste, served on a crostini. That appetizer was delicious.

For the lobster, we actually had to kill them, so that sucked. Chef said the most humane way to do it is to freeze them first for about ten minutes to retard their systems, and then just to cut them in half as quickly as possible. I made Ethan do it. I really don't think I can bring myself to kill something like that. Boiling them doesn't bother me, actually killing them with a knife really does. Anyway, we grilled the lobster tail and served it with an herb salad. Chef said we needed to brush the lobster with oil or something to make it nicer to eat. I think lobster is very overrated and I much prefer crab. To me lobster is mainly a vehicle for melted butter, as if I need an excuse to eat butter.

We only have one more cooking day left in Contemporary. After Spring break, we move on to Cuisine Across Cultures. I've seen them work; they do a lot of stir-fry.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment