Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pupusas, Quesadillas, and Churros

Yum, today we made Mexican food. Pupusas are masa dough balls stuffed with mozzarella, then fried in a skillet. We served them with a marinara-like sauce and some cabbage and carrot slaw.

My team worked on the tortillas and then made the quesadillas. The Mexican cheese we used was similar to mozzarella, but creamier. They turned out to be some of the best quesadillas I've ever had, and Chef was impressed with our tortillas. It was pretty much the first time we impressed Chef as a class, or at least the first time he said anything about it. He's from Jersey; you never really know with those East Coasters anyway.

After we were almost done with the quesadillas and pupusas, Chef said, "Who wants to make churros?" Well, we all did. They looked easy to make; I didn't make the batter but I helped to fry them up.

I love churros so much. They remind me of the Exploratorium, a kids' science museum in San Francisco that I used to go to all the time. The first time I ever had a churro was there; I had to be maybe seven. I was obsessed. I had to have one every time I returned, and we had season passes so it was often. And that's my Eve-memory of the day, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment